Express Yourself here.
uZu
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: uZu

Default mute

Post by uZu »

Hello,
i'm not used to whine but... I'd like to know if we could have a default 'mute' state for a player with no name set (aka unnamedplayer)?
If you don't set a name and try to chat, you get instead a message telling you to set a name to use chat.
I know that the default Q3 settings let a player connect without setting a name and he/she can then trash talk and be rude or a total moron on the chat. But, as stated numerous time over numerous topics on this very forum, this is not standard Q3 but a specific mod.
So, given that a real noob won't be annoyed to not be allowed to use chat (he will seek for details and in that case choose a name if this is staed that you must use a name to be allowed to use chat) and that most of the users coming here are quite regular, I guess we can allow this kind of setting, what do you think?
The idea behind this is quite clear: i'm fed up of some players hiding as unnamed and being rude for free.
I know, one can mute the chat, ok thx, but when a moron is on a server, i personnaly prefer that this is the one to be annoyed rather than cutting the chat off.
Anyway, i'd be please to know what you think about it.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Default mute

Post by adminless »

technically that can be done, but it looks a bit unnecessary to me, if some unnamed is messing the game, in any way, be it the chat or the game, it's probably better to just ban it, again in some way, that to implement such dramatic changes that would affect a lot of more people.
uZu
User lv4
User lv4

Post by uZu »

so basically If I get annoyed with an unnamedplayer, i've to break my game and come here to make post and hope you'll be avail soon enough, wait that you check if you feels like it deserves a ban and act accordingly...
well, i dunno if my proposal is a dramatic change that would affect a lot of people but I'm not convinced about the 'report to the forum' action when some moron is just happening to make a game unpleasant.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

yes, unfortunately that's the way it works and I don't think that disabling the chat for unnameds it would really make any difference as those that are gonna abuse the game in one way or another would simply start fake/random nicking instead all the same as when you chat ban someone and then instead start nick/game abusing etc so it just seems pointless to me. the only real difference it would make it would be to disable the chat for many players that never had anything to do with any of your issues.
uZu
User lv4
User lv4

Post by uZu »

Ok.
Maybe we could think of a /report clientnum command then? In order to ease bad behaviour reporting, it could avoid havin to break a game