map rotations

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

map rotations

Post by fernandinho1337 »

hi adminless

question out of curiosity: do you adjust the map rotation from time to time?

I am wondering because some of the maps that were added to the rotation now feel a bit overplayed and I think it could be nice to change the likeliness of a map being played from time to time.

e.g. I recently noticed (incl myself) that some players currently do not like dm10 or dm16 a lot anymore whereas when it was "new" it was nice to have a change and I enjoyed it a lot. if it would not be played that much for a while the excitement for the maps would potentially return.

so to summarize: change the weights/ probability of a map being played from time to time to keep a "fresh" feeling in the map pool (unfreeze and freefun)

what do you think?

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: map rotations

Post by adminless »

I think that with a rotation this short (relatively) there's no much you can do about it since as you're saying downplaying those maps implies overplaying (again relatively) other maps that soon leads just to the same issue then I think that's probably fine the way it's and that's probably about the best it can do. overall I feel like the best option would be to remove dm10 from UnFreeZe2 and dm15 from UnFreeZe1 (where they are played the most due those servers respective loads) as I suggested the last time this was brought and just let it be. other "solutions" won't probably really "solve" anything.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

wrt your last point. that is why I mean switching up every now and then to avoid overplaying the other maps and readding the underplayed maps. wrt dm15 only my personal opinion it is ok but removing dm10 would defintely be nice

best
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

I think dm15 may be there, but it seems to me that it appears too often when the server is full. Sometimes it happens that I play dm15, then dm7, and dm15 again.

I wouldn't remove DM10. Sometimes it's nice to play it at night. It would be nice if healing worked in the center of the map. I would also reduce the loading frequency of this map.

But that's just my opinion.
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

The solution may be to periodically replace your least favorite maps with others. smaller - q3dm10 --> q3dm9 (THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE). larger - q3dm15 --> q3dm18. ( much better example ). the cycle can be repeated every two weeks, a month or a quarter. if every two weeks or every week, other maps may be added to the map pool, for example: q3dm12 large, q3dm5 small. I would recommend a monthly cycle. You practically don't have to think about it at all, just change the map in rotation one for month. This should not affect the number of online players based on their desire to play the game rather than a specific map.

@whoami q3dm10 is not a bad map. of course, a better version of it exists on QuakeLive. but it's still not a bad map as long as people understand or understand it. the middle of the map is a plus for the lack of status regeneration. this is the main balance of this map.
Camaradas Iks De
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

q3dm9 is absolute garbage same as q3dm18 (unplayable). let alone q3dm12 that was added also "for the sake of it" various times in the past and it didn't "converge" (i.e. it didn't even finish, it took like 5 mins to do a round on average). yeah, overall I think that it's exactly the same as it was when this was brought and I suggested that same thing, there's no clear real agreement to change anything, hence why I didn't change anything back then and I don't think I'm gonna do now as well. in any case, thanks for the input.
oKo*CTHULHU
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: cTh

Post by oKo*CTHULHU »

@adminless although q3dm9 is actually a poorly rated map. then I would like you to reconsider q3dm18 (space chamber) because this map seemed to work in the past on the spacius server. it is also not as radical and unambiguous in its structure as, for example, q3dm17. there is a high chance of suicide on this map, but in my opinion it is at least a good candidate to consider any change. let me know what you think about it. Besides, a cycle of changing maps once a month doesn't seem like a bad idea. I would like to write that maps are changed every day, but I respect my time, and even more so someone else's time.
Camaradas Iks De
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 18:26 q3dm9 is absolute garbage same as q3dm18 (unplayable). let alone q3dm12 that was added also "for the sake of it" various times in the past and it didn't "converge" (i.e. it didn't even finish, it took like 5 mins to do a round on average). yeah, overall I think that it's exactly the same as it was when this was brought and I suggested that same thing, there's no clear real agreement to change anything, hence why I didn't change anything back then and I don't think I'm gonna do now as well. in any case, thanks for the input.
Dude q3dm9 is a good map even compared to q3dm15

I would suggest one of the servers needs to have try if it isn't difficult please
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

dm9 is really crap on unfreeze mod. it was sort of ok for 2on2 tdm but other than that it is total junk