February 2024 community event

fpsclassico february 2024 ctf mini-cup - ahu clan champions
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: February 2024 community event

Post by adminless »

great then the forum/forza team finally have at least five players (gladi, lisa, tuby, masin, agi) to participate that means that then it's up to community and mostly gsp (as I assume community should have no problems) to get a few more players (i.e. one) to make it happen.

@fau don't worry that the pool is just seven maps long here and most of them have already been played and are "entry level" (i.e. basic/intermediate) maps anyway so there should be no problems. besides it's ultimately going to be best of three games so only three maps of that are ultimately going to be played. for the format I guess that it should go like each team picks two maps, then the opponent blocks one (or chose the one they prefer from the two options as you prefer to view it) and then the tie-breaker comes from the remaining three after each blocks one (i.e. the one that hasn't been blocked).

ok, fantastic I guess that then this afternoon I'll make a small summary for this here.
aimer
User lv4
User lv4

Post by aimer »

Update! Team community has added EdVersion as 5th player for this match :)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

awesome, let's see if gsp can also add a fifth player for this. I'll write a summary now then.
champi
User lv3
User lv3
in-game nick: Champi

Post by champi »

Ahu Clan:

Champi
Juju AnimalTrainer
Deno
Jonas ( Only 25th Sunday )
Shantu
Last edited by champi on Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
champi
User lv3
User lv3

Post by champi »

Also question , is it unlagged ( unfreeze mod ) or OSP?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

it's not unfreeze but it's unlagged all the same. great news then it will be a small cup. I'll post that accordingly with the semis this week and the final the next. btw it will be a multi date event not just one day (if you win obviously) so get your guys ready and stay tuned.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok added now such mini cup summary here for this so as usual review that and if anything just let me know. the day is pretty much over and I still haven't received a fifth player neither from gsp nor from ahu as required (it's 5vs5) so I guess that I'll still give it a few more days then do not forget to submit such player otherwise bad things can happen (i.e. it's not the way it's supposed to be). as for the rest of the rules and so I assume everyone should be familiar with that so there's probably no need to go trough all that, no bullshit.

ok, so here are the opening semi finals:
  • Semifinals
    1. Team Forza VS Team Community (Thursday 22 of Febraury of 2024 21:00 CET [UTC+01])
    2. Ahu Clan VS GSP Team (Sunday 25 of February of 2024 21:00 CET [UTC+01])
I'll poll now the forza guys about this so those involved (i.e. captains) please let me know how that works for you/your teams along with your picks. as usual this is a more casual setting so I'm not gonna go crazy about the deadlines and I understand that there can be some room for adjustment that said dragging this and/or plain non sense won't be tolerated as usual. as the forza picks assuming they joined at random in the forum for a organised (by me) event I assume I'll pick those so I'll just go with q3ctf1 and q3ctf2 for them as my best guess as the entry canon picks for them.
champi
User lv3
User lv3

Post by champi »

Why not use quake 3 Threewave CTF maps? They fit 5v5. Q3CTF1 and mpteam9 are too chaotic for 5v5.

-Crewctf exist in threewave as the individual map file is missing textures on my end.

https://ws.q3df.org/map/crewctf/
https://ws.q3df.org/map/q3wcp5/

-Q3CTF1 could be replaced with Q3WCP9 ( Spider Crossings )
https://ws.q3df.org/map/q3wcp9/

-MPTEAM9 with Future Crossings
https://ws.q3df.org/map/q3wcp18/
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

because it's absurd to download like a hundred maps pack when you're just only going to play a few of them. for that purpose the standalone versions work much better (which is why they are there for btw) beside those kind of huge mega packs are precisely known for being the culprit of those texture/shader conflicts you're experiencing now so try with some of the well known provided packages. for the rest I think it's a bit late to join that type of discussion about maps so let me know who your fifth player is and what two maps you want to pick from that pool for this to play against gsp the Sunday or if not possible at some other date to determine. I need to know that, from everyone involved, within the next days (i.e. in a reasonable time frame).
champi
User lv3
User lv3

Post by champi »

My 5th is Shantu

Maps are: Oasago2 and MKBASE
champi
User lv3
User lv3

Post by champi »

Also yeah , i didn't see this topic till yesterday , signed up as soon as I saw it.
Here are standalone version of the maps for future events
http://cnaa-inc.com/quake3/baseq3/ql_fu ... sings2.pk3
http://cnaa-inc.com/quake3/baseq3/ql_shiningforces.pk3
http://cnaa-inc.com/quake3/baseq3/ql_sp ... ssings.pk3

source: http://cnaa-inc.com/quake3/baseq3/
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, noted shantu now to your team for this in the summary and oasago2 and mkbase as picks from your end for the gsp semi final. awesome that means that now only gsp is missing a fifth player and to know if the current date of the Sunday 25 of February of 2024 21:00 CET (UTC+01) work for you to leave this all set.

as for the maps, first of all those are not standalone versions of those maps, those are actually q3 edits of ripped off quakelive maps hence "useless" beside "proof of concept"/testing/demonstration uses for a variety of reasons (copyright, optimizations, different physics etc). as commented before, we're not huge on ctf here, that's not the main mode played here, if anything at all, I assume that should be clear, so the purpose with the map pool is to put together some known entry (i.e. basic/intermediate) level straight forward fun to play maps not yet another over the top competitive rotation. in that sense the picks there accomplish that with some overall balance, all that you can say about q3ctf1/mpteam9 in one way I can also say about q3ctf2/crew in the other. if q3ctf1/mpteam9 can be slightly small for 5vs5 and probably better suited (optimal) for 4vs4 the reality is that q3ctf2/crew (and a lot of more maps there) are hardly suited for 5vs5 and a lot more for 6vs6/7vs7 onwards. moreover with just five players registered per team is not even guaranteed that the games will finally be 5vs5 so as noted before if we just go like that then nothing would be played and/or the pool would be just like one or two maps long at most, that's no good. q3ctf1 is a all time classic and one of the best maps in ctf and mpteam9 is a ctf extended version of a well known map (q3tourney6) that is fun to play as well so both should do just fine for this beside at the end of the day out of seven maps only three are gonna end up being played per encounter so those that people don't wanna play they can just skip them. as for the maps you mention q3wcp18 is definitively a solid option but it's also as well a advanced and complex map and it just happens that the people here simply lacks the experience and knowledge necessary to play it at the time of writing. and as for q3wcp9 that's also a good option but it doesn't really bring anything else beside what's already in the pool but those there are a lot more known and therefor better options. probably out of all those the only thing worth considering to be introduced at some point depending on the circumstances could be q3wct2.
champi
User lv3
User lv3

Post by champi »

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes, courtyard, out of all those q3wctf2 (which is the original map btw not q3w2) is probably the best and most interesting one. that map is so good that I even remember playing it/loading it up for ftag frequently at the pubs back in the day. that said, at the same time that map is also huge (like for 7vs7 min) and clearly hardcore so it's evident that's not option (i.e. alien) for the case being here.
champi
User lv3
User lv3

Post by champi »

Courtyard has a major flaw , it is too easy to defend , base has too many stacks ( mega and red ) and that's why it is no longer played in any competition.
Even the Quake Live counterpart that has an extra route , less base stacks and a more accessible railgun has fallen out of popularity. Sadly it also happens to be my favorite map of all :D , looking forward if you manage to pull a tournament in the future having it in it's official rotation.
Anyway , enough chitchat , I'll be checking this forum regularly to not miss any tournament update and I'll let you know if any of my guys bail out.