sdlioq3a

UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
Maxim
User lv1
User lv1

sdlioq3a

Post by Maxim »

Hi Adminless! Nice to meet you. I have a question about your android engine of quake 3 arena. It's called sdlioq3 and it's on Google play market. I've installed it hoping to be able to play quake 3 on my Xiaomi mi a2 lite smartphone using PS3 gamepad. I did everything as it was written in the description. But after I load the game I can't browse the main menu of the game (where all the settings are) by means of a gamepad. It doesn't work in the menu. Only way I can manage settings is by my finger on the screen. And it is very difficult because it always tends to slip towards upper or lower line. And after I set everything as I wanted (assigned each button on a gamepad to a certain action) I started the game and it works fine. I mean gamepad works ok but I can't exit the game because there's no escape button. How can I bind "escape" to a gamepad?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: sdlioq3a

Post by adminless »

hey there, thank you for giving the app a try and sorry for not getting back at you in the store about your feedback I saw early today. not really sure if that can be done with a gamepad at the time of writing. escape however is bind instead to the back hardware button on android devices for that reason/purpose so I guess that probably you can open the menu from there. hope that helps.
Maxim
User lv1
User lv1

Post by Maxim »

First time I tried to install and run it on my phone I managed to bind a lot of buttons e.g thumbsticks for looking left and right, arrows for weapon changing, d-pad for moving and left trigger for zoom and right upper trigger for jumps. But then I started game and couldn't escape when I wanted to leave. So I had to remove your app and reinstall it. But second time I installed it- nothing worked. I couldn't even bind any of the buttons because only touchscreen worked and it still didn't work as it should have. It works weird like when I try to move a cursor on the screen with my finger and I choose "settings" for example the cursor chooses settings but when I change some settings and try to go back to the previous menu the cursor just gets stuck on "settings" and any attempt to move it to any other direction only causes it to choose "settings". As if I don't move it but tap it. Do you understand what I mean? The cursor gets stuck to a chosen line and when I try to move it to another line it taps on this chosen line instead of moving up or down.
Maxim
User lv1
User lv1

Post by Maxim »

By the way can you give me any advice on how to run quake 3 on Android phone aside from your app? I really enjoy learning new maps but sitting in front of a monitor makes life miserable for me. My back aches and my eyes redden. But when I play with my smartphone-controller set-up lying on a sofa relaxed I can play for many hours at a time and no troubles are caused. And one more question: if you finally make it working will it support gyro aiming? I've heard it is almost as precise as a mouse.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

just to be safe go where you installed the game files and rename your ioq3config.cfg file/s to something else and make sure to remove any potential ioq3.pid file/s you might have left. be aware that this will wipe all your current binds so you'll start clean (hence just rename that file, not remove it yet). additionally as a follow up I just gave it a try now and the menu comes up by long pressing the hardware button once in-game (rather than just tapping it which functions as jump instead). additionally the console command \bind m togglemenu for example bind the opening menu once in-game to the keyboard m kye. you can then bind that function to something else you might prefer to get it to open with the game pad. one way to accomplish that without a keyboard can be to bind that button you want to something else in-game (ex. chat team) and then just open your ioq3config.cfg file with a text editor in android and simply replace the "messagemode2" function assigned to that button by "toggleconsole". that should get the pad working I guess.

as for the gyro controls they are actually disabled in the app, I can't tell for every device but at least for the ones I tested they were completely messed up hence I disabled them in the app.