Help me choose a peripheral pls! :>

User's Guides & Help forum.
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: LisaTheAnn

Help me choose a peripheral pls! :>

Post by Lisa_Ann »

I'm currently still playing on old config on a ThinkPad P50 i7-6820HQ/16DDR4/512SSD vga quadro m2000m laptop.

Only my sound system is more serious, Steinberg sound card (old mk22) + audio technology headphones (50mx) + macike cr4x monitor speakers.

All other peripherals are completely commercial, including the monitor. The keyboard is Drevo, mouse + mouse pad tesco budget, monitor is something 27 "LG with 1080p resolution at 75 Hz...

Not necessarily because of the quake, but I would banish part of my hardware and I can't really find some things that would be good for the price/value ratio.

The laptop was replaced with a p53. i7-9750H 32 gb ddr4, dual channel
512gb NVMe ssd nVidia Quadro T1000.

I bought a Ducky One 3 KLT from Keyboard. I was able to get this cheaply.

The mouse pad turned into Zero Classic SOFT and was recommended by several people.

I'm looking at 3 of the mouse right now:

Lamzu Atlantis
Endgame Gear XM2we
Cooler Master MM712

I have never had a more expensive mouse, so this will surely mean a lot. But if someone knows better, don't keep it to yourself.

As for the monitor, I absolutely do not know what to buy. I don't want a TN panel, because I also work on the machine and I don't want to change the monitor. I'm used to IPS. The 27-inch size would also remain. Obviously it would be good to increase the frequency :-) 144hz? 165? I don't know, I've never had such a monitor, I haven't even seen it.

Obviously, it should work with the laptop that has HDMI 2.0 or 2× USB-C Thunderbolt 3...

Theoretically, the t1000 quadro nvidia doesn't support g-sync, but I haven't tried it yet. Can you recommend a reasonable monitor?

Thank you in advance for your help!
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Re: Help me choose a peripheral pls! :>

Post by PacMan »

Either monitor will make you hardcore twerk master killer I have 144
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Post by fau »

What's your current mouse? Do you get any pain from aiming with it? I'd say it's better to not go crazy with shape and size, buy something similar just from better manufacturer, with better specs and lighter. I'm experimenting a lot with mice right now too and it's hard to get used to different shape and size, it takes some time to learn how to handle a shape you are not used to. When it comes to weight for quake I like them as light as possible.

And if you want to get a completely new shape of mouse then better have good return policy or get cheaper, wired one first. You can sink a lot of money into mice but imo it's not worth it unless you are sure that "this is the one". Difference between wired and wireless is not as big, as long as you have good way to attach your cable.

For monitor - I'm looking for 1440p IPS too because my current TN panel is breaking. For quake higher hz the better, ale the way up to 250 (it's not really possible to play with com_maxfps higher than that because it gets wonky with physics). I had 240hz for a while and it's great, better than 144 but 144 was ok too and my aim didn't really get much better from it. But in a game like quake you can easily feel how much smoother and easier on the eyes it gets when going above 144hz.
If you are used to 75hz then 144hz will be already massive improvement and you are gonna love it. Personally I like upgrading my tech in smaller steps, can appreciate each upgrade more :)

If you are playing other games then you will appreciate gsync/freesync, but for quake it doesn't matter - just run quake at higher fps than your monitor hz and it will be all smooth.
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

I just have to smile, I've been playing on an old i3 with integrated graphics for about 6 years now (a kind of "mini" desktop computer, with the guts of a laptop), 24" IPS monitor, no-name wireless keyboard and wired no-name mouse (for about 15 EUR). The only thing I change is the mousepad, once every few months I buy a new one (for about 7-8 EUR). So just for comparison ;)
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Post by fau »

Well it's a 30 years old game, i3 with integrated graphics will run it just as well as gaming pc. I played with 20 years old mouse (WMO) and a laptop (core2duo) too when I started here, no problem with that setup at all. That was back when we played these first duels tournaments, remember?

The only thing that will actually make you play better is a monitor if you are on 60hz, because monitor technology got a serious downgrade since q3 was released.
You could play q3 at 640x480 120hz on a low end office CRT back in the days, and that's better experience for quake than many current high end gaming monitors.
Good to have optical mouse and a mousepad too.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

...jutuli... wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:26 I just have to smile, I've been playing on an old i3 with integrated graphics for about 6 years now (a kind of "mini" desktop computer, with the guts of a laptop), 24" IPS monitor, no-name wireless keyboard and wired no-name mouse (for about 15 EUR). The only thing I change is the mousepad, once every few months I buy a new one (for about 7-8 EUR). So just for comparison ;)
So divorce meant she still controls you and you can spend on yourself :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

So divorce meant she still controls you and you can spend on yourself :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
No pacutuli, I just have no needs to get smting better. Such machine is still ok for browsing, watching movies and killing ur ASS in Q3 ;) On the other side, I just ordered Meta Quest 3, so soon I will freeze you in 3d, which could be spectacular... So I live in the past and the future at the same time ;)

And yea fau, I remember, and I also played for a while on a core2duo. But I will not buy a new monitor just for old game, I am not that crazy. I wil rather hurt myself when I lost my balance playing on VR glasses ;)
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

...jutuli... wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 13:46
No pacutuli, I just have no needs to get smting better. Such machine is still ok for browsing, watching movies and killing ur ASS in Q3 ;) On the other side, I just ordered Meta Quest 3, so soon I will freeze you in 3d, which could be spectacular... So I live in the past and the future at the same time ;)

And yea fau, I remember, and I also played for a while on a core2duo. But I will not buy a new monitor just for old game, I am not that crazy. I wil rather hurt myself when I lost my balance playing on VR glasses ;)
My gen 11 dell graphics so poor it won't play quake lol
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Post by imprecise »

Hi Lisa

for your mouse I recommend a Razer DeathAdder Essential 2021 for around 30 Euros

more information on its characteristics look on this site at the bottom of the page, it is very well rated by users (https://www.materiel.net/produit/202102220087.html)

"My ability to concentrate is so short that ... Oh a butterfly !"
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

Hello!

Thanks for the answer everyone!

For now, I bought an endgame xm1 very cheaply to try it out, the razor didn't work for me ( imprecise ), I will definitely try the xm1r version as well.

I bought it unopened for 18 euros.

Also, I also got hold of an ASUS asus vg279qm monitor cheaply, even with an old p50 laptop it runs excellently at 240 Hz via displayport. ( iam use it 240 Hz only now not overdrive ). It was 280 euros with full immediate guarantee (also for pixels)

I also bought a keyboard now, and managed to get it at half price, ducky one 3 klt lett( daybreak )
I managed to order this new for 78 euros.

The difference is already huge, and I haven't even managed to set up my config.cfg properly, or I have to get used to it. But it's a completely different experience with quake 3, but also 1 and 2. It mainly occurs with railguns, but if you have to turn suddenly, it's completely different. So far I've been shooting by feel, now I can see what I'm doing... :D
And I'm finally using the other weapons, not just the RL and RG
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Lisa_Ann »

fau wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:47 Well it's a 30 years old game, i3 with integrated graphics will run it just as well as gaming pc. I played with 20 years old mouse (WMO) and a laptop (core2duo) too when I started here, no problem with that setup at all. That was back when we played these first duels tournaments, remember?

The only thing that will actually make you play better is a monitor if you are on 60hz, because monitor technology got a serious downgrade since q3 was released.
You could play q3 at 640x480 120hz on a low end office CRT back in the days, and that's better experience for quake than many current high end gaming monitors.
Good to have optical mouse and a mousepad too.
My first setup I ran quake3 on was a cyrix 233 mmx cpu with 32 Mb sd ram with voodoo bansche (innovision), I remember I needed a patch for VGA, because it was a "cheap" voodoo II, right?

I think it was still a roller mouse back then. Although I had an advantage in LAN, because many people only used bill.t, the mouse was too much for them...lol