Better latency in Glacius, why ?

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
The Undead
User lv4
User lv4

Better latency in Glacius, why ?

Post by The Undead »

hi admin,

Just asking, but I was surprised to get around 15ms in glacius server, while I’am around 25ms in Freefun/Unfreeze servers. In FFA I’am around 30ms. All in deutschland IPs.
Glacius seems also in deutschland, no ?
Any idea why I don’t have 15ms also in freefun/unfreeze also in deutschland servers ?
I really feel the latency benefits in Glacius.
Any possibility to bring the same performance to Freefun/Unfreeze servers ?

Cheers’
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Better latency in Glacius, why ?

Post by adminless »

I just took a look at the routes now and most likely you just got around 15 msecs (probably in reality some more like 18) at glacius yesterday because you connected through the .eu route which in most cases is the recommended one for the primary server. the .de route is currently a routed one so it should only be used in case of routing or performance issues with some of the other primary routes (i.e. .eu or .com which are now the primary routes). so basically if you just connect to UnFreeZe1 with \connect fpsclasico.eu:27961 or to any of the other .eu in-game servers you should get those same 15 msecs (approx). additionally you can probably as well get around 25 msecs (again approx) at the ffa server or any of the other .com servers by connecting through the .com route (ex. \connect fpsclassico.com:27964). this last although the slightly higher latency should be the most sable of all the routes so probably the recommended one for competitive games. on the .de routes you should get between those 25-35 msecs you're talking about depending on the server you connect to so you should actually avoid those routes in particular instead.

finally as usual that's just a very specific report for your connection in particular and only valid for the Sunday 23 of July of 2023 at around 11:20 CEST (UTC+02) nothing else. at other times and for other connections it can perfectly be the exact opposite of that (matter of facts, it's not that it can, it's that it's expected to be and that's exactly the real reason of the true multi-route/multi-homed setup as you can see) so people should always conduct their own tests and see what it's that applies for their specific use and not take things for granted.
The Undead
User lv4
User lv4

Post by The Undead »

thank you very much for those informations, appreciated
I confirm I now have around 17ms in unfreeze 1 and 2 with .eu

I checked the FFA server but fpsclassico.eu:27964 (nor .de) seems not working, but only .com
Can you please confirm there is only .com up for FFA server ?

On CTF servers I have slightly higher ms (around 20ms) for .eu but it seems fine anyway
Cheers'
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes 17 msecs is (pretty much) exactly the expected value for that route (as usual obviously in-game ping is gonna fluctuate, let's say around 16-19, it's never gonna be just a exact value) that I was talking about and therefor the recommended one, I repeat just for your specific connection and this specific point in time (which obviously again can and will probably vary on the future depending on external network circumstances let alone for any other connection so I hope people don't take that advice for granted and the unquestionable solution for every single frame at every single instant from every single point in the known universe both in present and in future because it's not, that's only for your particular connection and even so only valid at the time of writing period). first of all fpsclassico.eu doesn't even exist, that's a typo as well as fpsclassico.de, the valid domains for these servers are fpsclasico.eu for the primary game server, fpsclasico.de for the "low" latency (to some extend) guarantee route and fpsclassico.com for the secondary game server. the primary game server runs the UnFreeZe1/3 (i.e. UnFreeZe and glacius), ctf and masters servers while the secondary game server the UnFreeZe2 (i.e. freefun), ffa and duel servers so yes, fpsclasico.eu:27964 (now without the typo) doesn't work as I'm telling you that server doesn't run on that machine however fpsclasico.de:27964 (now properly without the typo) should work albeit worse (again in your specific case) than fpsclassico.com:27964 for you. this is now a true milti-routed and multi-homed setup for guarantee continuity of service so even if one server or route goes down (for whatever reason) a significant amount of sensible services will continue to operate on the rest of the servers/routes which wasn't the case before. in any case, as usual, the best way to deal with all this is just to install the provided packages, refresh the game servers list a few times to check for a pattern and then pick the appropriate route for your case without having to do or know anything else beyond that, all the routes are properly marked there (both IPv4 and IPv6). the ctf server might report just a slightly higher ping due the (different) way that server operates, anyways, that difference it's pretty much "noise" and still within perfectly sensible and functional values, nothing to worry about.
The Undead
User lv4
User lv4

Post by The Undead »

ok thanks again for all those clarifications
works perfectly as intended, sorry for the typo, my mistake

Just a final question, do you recommend any Q3 game listing in particular for refreshing the servers and check the lowest latency ? I remember using "The All Seeing Eye" or something while I was playing at a good level many years ago.
Because for now I just use classic Windows shortcuts with infos on it.
Many thanks
Cheers'
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

The Undead wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 15:26 I confirm I now have around 17ms in unfreeze 1 and 2 with .eu
We all are dead now...
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

@undead most of that software, if not all, does not work any more so yes I think the best alternative overall it's probably just that, to use some of the provided packages to get a overall picture of the latency (plus testing obviously) and then simply to directly shortcut the preferred route until you encounter some issues (which in your particular case should be fpsclasico.eu for the ports 27961, 27963, 27965 and 27967 [18 msecs approx] and the fpsclassico.com for the ports 27962, 27964 and 27966 [24 msecs approx] both via IPv4). additionally the fpsclasico master tab on this forum here should go a long way to keep a eye on the servers and stay updated with any possible changes (the stared routes there are the "preferred" ones under normal circumstances while the others the alternative fail-safe ones in case of any [significant] issues with the main stared ones which I repeat will be totally different from connection to connection and even from time to time for the same connection hence why they are there for beside the guarantee continuity of service obviously).
The Undead
User lv4
User lv4

Post by The Undead »

...jutuli... wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 17:24
The Undead wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 15:26 I confirm I now have around 17ms in unfreeze 1 and 2 with .eu
We all are dead now...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
adminless wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 17:28 @undead most of that software, if not all, does not work any more so yes I think the best alternative overall it's probably just that, to use some of the provided packages to get a overall picture of the latency (plus testing obviously) and then simply to directly shortcut the preferred route until you encounter some issues (which in your particular case should be fpsclasico.eu for the ports 27961, 27963, 27965 and 27967 [18 msecs approx] and the fpsclassico.com for the ports 27964, 27964 and 27966 [24 msecs approx] both via IPv4). additionally the fpsclasico master tab on this forum here should go a long way to keep a eye on the servers and stay updated with any possible changes (the stared routes there are the "preferred" ones under normal circumstances while the others the alternative fail-safe ones in case of any [significant] issues with the main stared ones which I repeat will be totally different from connection to connection and even from time to time for the same connection hence why they are there for beside the guarantee continuity of service obviously).
Ok many thanks for your very useful answers, appreciated :thumbup:
Cheers'
The Undead
User lv4
User lv4

Post by The Undead »

adminless wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 17:28(which in your particular case should be fpsclasico.eu for the ports 27961, 27963, 27965 and 27967 [18 msecs approx] and the fpsclassico.com for the ports 27964, 27964 and 27966 [24 msecs approx] both via IPv4).
I probably missed something but is there a way to have the "low" latency for unfreeze2 (freefun) server aswell ? (looks like fpsclasico.eu:27962 is not working)
Cheers'
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

UnFreeZe2 runs on the secondary (.com) server not on the primary (.eu) one and you can not acess .com servers through .eu routes (or the other way around) as that doesn't even really make much sense (even if you would, you would only get more lag) only through .de routes which do provide all servers as alternative in case of issues. the best you can do for that server is \connect fpsclassico.com:27962 as I told you (yes now that I look at it there was a typo and I typed 27964 twice instead of 27962 and 27964) which should give you around 24 msecs approx.
The Undead
User lv4
User lv4

Post by The Undead »

Ok many thanks :thumbup:
...jutuli... wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 17:24 We all are dead now...
No more, at least on freefun then! :lol: