Try
/vid_restart
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: hudubuduba

Post by adminless »

yes, players model loads are deferred until you get killed to avoid mid game hitches, that's just the way it (normally) is beside some graphic options/changes require in fact a restart (ex. vid_restart).
hudubuduba
User lv3
User lv3

Post by hudubuduba »

ну вот, снова на форуме.
решил всё-таки я отказаться от местной сборки ioq3v6 и вернуться к классическому q3. а всё потому, что в данной сборке (она классная и всё-такое и даже с этого форума) нет других серверов, кроме fpsclassic. а как мне расти, бегая по накатанной дорожке? несколько месяцев я не улучшаю свои результаты. да, q3 не так удобен и мне приходится привыкать к нему заново. но я уверен, оно того стоит

and translate version for pacman:
Well, here we are again on the forum.
I finally decided to abandon the local build of ioq3v6 and return to the classic q3. and all because in this assembly (it’s cool and all that, and even from this forum) there are no other servers except fpsclassic. How can I grow while running on a well-trodden track? I haven't improved my results for several months. yes, q3 is not so convenient and I have to get used to it again. but I'm sure it's worth it.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

I don't recommend anyone use the ioq3 package from these forums if they are interested in q3 in general. The way it is packaged has the unfreeze mod and assets all in baseq3 meaning the game starts up directly in unfreeze mod and you can't do anything about that.

The normal way to configure quake3 would be to use something like q3e or ioq3 (normal version). Set up for q3e would be easy.

Just the quake3e-windows-mingw-x86_64.zip release from here: https://github.com/ec-/Quake3e/releases

Unzip that. Copy in your pak0 through pak8 files from baseq3 on your normal quake3 install into the baseq3 folder in the quake3e directory.

With that you are done. I do recommend adding in zz-osp-pak0 through zz-osp-pak3 though. This will just add some quality of life features that will work on a vast majority of servers. You can grab the osp zip here https://www.moddb.com/mods/osp/downloads and then you just copy those 4 files into baseq3.

Settings are pretty simple:

Set binds for movement, crouch, jump, and weapons.

This setting in q3e should use your desktop resolution settings and make things easy:
r_mode -2

If you want to use a specific resolution in q3e that isn't your desktop resolution then you do it like this:
r_mode -1
r_customWidth 1920
r_customHeight 1080

You will have to vid_restart for those to take effect.

These are general settings everyone should have set:
cl_allowdownload 1
snaps 40
rate 50000
r_swapinterval 0
com_maxfps 125
cl_maxpackets 125
cl_packetdup 1

If you did put the OSP files into baseq3 you can force enemy model like this:
cg_enemyModel "keel/pm"
cg_enemyColors "iiii"

The really annoying part about unfreeze is you will have to manually install the mod. So you can grab the unfreeze pk3 file out of the ioq3 zip from this site and just manually create an "unfreeze" folder in the new quake3 folder next to baseq3 and put the unfreeze pk3 file into that. The mod will work without it, but the ffa server won't and there may be other issues.

If you are interested in getting good just pick an fov between 90 and 110, pick a sensitivity between 20cm/360 and 30cm/360, use headphones, turn off music, and deliberately practice things like movement and aim. Often times new players will set their fov too high, or sensitivity too high and then wonder why they can't hit anything. Game strategy and more specific tips are quite an expansive topic.

If you wish to use ioq3 instead of q3e, the information I gave above is mostly the same. You grab ioq3 here https://ioquake3.org/ and personally I discard everything except the dlls and the exe from the zip, because ioq3 comes with some extra stuff I find annoying. Most people prefer q3e these days and it is simpler.

That should open things up so you can play unfreeze, q3msk, warserver, or any other group of servers you want. Most mods will auto install when you connect, except for unfreeze.

Inb4 this is all wasted effort on my part because nobody is actually interested in playing quake3 the right way. One of many reasons I stopped helping new players.
hudubuduba
User lv3
User lv3

Post by hudubuduba »

Hooray!!!
You have no idea how much you helped me!
installed quake3e.
I threw the entire osp folder there, which I downloaded from your link.
and "unfreeze" folder from the local build.
and yes. The result is a classic q3 with all the benefits of ioq3v6, including additional information and brite color of the opposing players.
and it became much easier to play. MUCH!
Thank you!
Well, the fact that we are not interested in playing quake correctly, well... almost all players care about their own results within the usual sandbox. we are just ordinary people.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

RH wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:54 I don't recommend anyone use the ioq3 package from these forums if they are interested in q3 in general. The way it is packaged has the unfreeze mod and assets all in baseq3 meaning the game starts up directly in unfreeze mod and you can't do anything about that.

The normal way to configure quake3 would be to use something like q3e or ioq3 (normal version). Set up for q3e would be easy.

Just the quake3e-windows-mingw-x86_64.zip release from here: https://github.com/ec-/Quake3e/releases

Unzip that. Copy in your pak0 through pak8 files from baseq3 on your normal quake3 install into the baseq3 folder in the quake3e directory.

With that you are done. I do recommend adding in zz-osp-pak0 through zz-osp-pak3 though. This will just add some quality of life features that will work on a vast majority of servers. You can grab the osp zip here https://www.moddb.com/mods/osp/downloads and then you just copy those 4 files into baseq3.

Settings are pretty simple:

Set binds for movement, crouch, jump, and weapons.

This setting in q3e should use your desktop resolution settings and make things easy:
r_mode -2

If you want to use a specific resolution in q3e that isn't your desktop resolution then you do it like this:
r_mode -1
r_customWidth 1920
r_customHeight 1080

You will have to vid_restart for those to take effect.

These are general settings everyone should have set:
cl_allowdownload 1
snaps 40
rate 50000
r_swapinterval 0
com_maxfps 125
cl_maxpackets 125
cl_packetdup 1

If you did put the OSP files into baseq3 you can force enemy model like this:
cg_enemyModel "keel/pm"
cg_enemyColors "iiii"

The really annoying part about unfreeze is you will have to manually install the mod. So you can grab the unfreeze pk3 file out of the ioq3 zip from this site and just manually create an "unfreeze" folder in the new quake3 folder next to baseq3 and put the unfreeze pk3 file into that. The mod will work without it, but the ffa server won't and there may be other issues.

If you are interested in getting good just pick an fov between 90 and 110, pick a sensitivity between 20cm/360 and 30cm/360, use headphones, turn off music, and deliberately practice things like movement and aim. Often times new players will set their fov too high, or sensitivity too high and then wonder why they can't hit anything. Game strategy and more specific tips are quite an expansive topic.

If you wish to use ioq3 instead of q3e, the information I gave above is mostly the same. You grab ioq3 here https://ioquake3.org/ and personally I discard everything except the dlls and the exe from the zip, because ioq3 comes with some extra stuff I find annoying. Most people prefer q3e these days and it is simpler.

That should open things up so you can play unfreeze, q3msk, warserver, or any other group of servers you want. Most mods will auto install when you connect, except for unfreeze.

Inb4 this is all wasted effort on my part because nobody is actually interested in playing quake3 the right way. One of many reasons I stopped helping new players.
Potentially this can be run as a separate install right ? Meaning don't have to delete the admin version ?
hudubuduba
User lv3
User lv3

Post by hudubuduba »

Hi!
everything is placed in a new directory according to the instructions. after copying the "unfriize" folder from the admin version, we get a normal classic game with all the features of the admin version.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

PacMan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 18:46 Potentially this can be run as a separate install right ? Meaning don't have to delete the admin version ?
If you use q3e, yes. Q3e runs everything out of the directory with the exe. That is one of the reasons a lot of people prefer q3e.
hudubuduba
User lv3
User lv3

Post by hudubuduba »

I'm reporting!
Unfortunately, not everything worked out as hoped. When starting the game, the game goes to the maximum (screen) resolution and does not respond to attempts to change the resolution to something else. it would be fine, but because of the small font the message is impossible to read. For now, this is how I get out of the situation: before starting the game, I change the screen resolution to a lower one. but this is perhaps the only drawback and I am ready to put up with it. Moreover, I really began to enjoy the game much more. both the rocket and the rails became much more accurate, and I myself became more dexterous. and for the second day in a row I am gaining more frags than usual. I think other players noticed this too. Now I play as a HOMEOPATH.
And finally, thank you and good luck to everyone. it is important.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

hudubuduba wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:00 I'm reporting!
Unfortunately, not everything worked out as hoped. When starting the game, the game goes to the maximum (screen) resolution and does not respond to attempts to change the resolution to something else. it would be fine, but because of the small font the message is impossible to read. For now, this is how I get out of the situation: before starting the game, I change the screen resolution to a lower one. but this is perhaps the only drawback and I am ready to put up with it. Moreover, I really began to enjoy the game much more. both the rocket and the rails became much more accurate, and I myself became more dexterous. and for the second day in a row I am gaining more frags than usual. I think other players noticed this too. Now I play as a HOMEOPATH.
And finally, thank you and good luck to everyone. it is important.
the cvar you are looking for is con_scale

Just bump that up to something like 2.5 or 3 and you should be fine.